Strengths of the experience:
- Warm reception and well-orchestrated logistics, bravo!
- The positive spirit of the organizing team and participants
- The sun that was shining on us that morning
- The water, cool but fresh and clean
Aspects of the experience that could be improved:
- Newer lifejackets of various sizes – they were large and tricky to adjust and they rode up to the neckline once in the water making it impossible to swim.
- We recommend putting in place a safer, easier way to get out of the water. There was a long lineup to use the ladder to get out of the river and climbing it demanded a fair bit of physical effort. In case of trouble, it would be difficult to evacuate multiple people at once – an accident could easily occur.
Looking forward to be able to benefit from increased access to the St. Laurent river next year!